History of all released versions of abeMeda (and CDWinder)
As you can see, for 16 years, we have been constantly updating and
Current Version of abeMeda for
7 (March 29th,
- abeMeda now offers editing and saving of XMP/IPTC
metadata tags. You can now modify all the XMP data abeMeda
reads and supports, and save them back to the catalog AND the
- also added a controlled global keyword list,
that keeps and offers your favourite keywords for tagging. also
added keywords to the QuickFind options.
- added support for ratings (also based in XMP)
- you can add ratings to any image, video and prepress file, which
is then stored either inside that file, or in an accompanying XMP
- added "in Year", "in Month", "in Month Any Year" to the
available find operators, for more flexibility when looking for
certain date ranges.
- added "name or path contains" as search criteria - whenever you
don't know whether what you are looking for can be found in each
file name or just in the containing folder.
- added our new Extended catalog format, that
allows for catalog sizes above 4GB. This requires the 64bit version
- preview thumbnails can now even be 1024px, 2048px or 4096px in
size (when using that new Extended catalog format)
- improved stability, accuracy, and speed of updates
- augmented AutoUpdate: you can now temporarily
switch AutoUpdate on and off (without needing to clear your
complete schedule). We added a lot more interval options, from
"every 30 minutes" to "every 4 days". You can also now decide to
run all your updates serialized (one at a time, so they don't
interfere with each other, eg when on the same drive)
- abeMeda now saves the last used cataloging settings in its
catalog files. That way you can create specific catalogs for
certain purposes without having to switch around the cataloging
settings all the time. These settings can be respected when
updating, and you can also choose to use/prefer them when
scheduling AutoUpdates for the catalogs. When cataloging, you have
the options of using the stored setting, the current defaults, or a
selection of different presets.
- abeMeda now also includes stored Lyrics in different export
- added hierarchical groups to albums and
- added a new "Item" menu, grouping together ratings, labels and
several other tasks and options for different selected item
- added "photo contact sheets" to create and export an overview
of a selection of photos.
- added "show Preview", which is now a separate menu command for
items with thumbnail previews (not only available via double-click
on the preview in inspector). There is also a shortcut (ALT+SPACE)
- added "SHIFT+ENTER" for File-Open, "ALT+ENTER" for
File-OpenWith as global keyboard shortcuts.
- added "show catalog file" as command for catalogs, to shorten
the detour via its catalog folder.
- abeMeda now reads and displays the video codec for video
- added reading of XMP metadata for videos from accompanying XMP
- added a hidden setting to change the temp folder abeMeda uses
when cataloging and exporting. (useful when you're in a
space-constrained environment, and/or on an SSD)
- abeMeda now also looks for and recognizes the 64bit 7zip
- fixed: we now only read XMP from sidecars for movie files,
except when forced otherwise by "prfIgnoreXMPinMOV". Else XMP would
load huge video files completely into memory to seek them for data.
Especially cumbersome when cataloging network drives.
- fixed: abeMeda now correctly treats anamorphic video files when
encountered via ffmpeg. these would result in distorted thumbnails
and dimensions in the past.
- fixed: we can now read more metadata from ffmpeg results,
compensating for the loss of QuickTime.
- fixed: load times for albums are now much faster.
- fixed problems with the prefix and suffix of the automatic
- fixed: findEditor now always adds a new criteria of the same
kind as the one you pressed "+" on.
- fixed problems with the databaseSettings, where ignoring of
folders would not really work, but ignoring file suffixes would
also ignore folders that happen to have that suffix...
- fixed a problem with certain huge ZIP archive files that would
still report the wrong size.
- fixed a problem where certain damaged RTF files would cause
abeMeda to crash when it tried to read their contents.
- fixed problems in the ID3 cataloging with certain formats of
Lyrics and other data.
- fixed a problem with the automatic batch cataloging, where
abeMeda could only eject the first installed disc drive, not the
- fixed a couple of issues with the CSV export.
- and fixed and improved numerous other issues.
6.7 (February 2nd,
- abeMeda now reads XMP metadata in MP4/MOV files!
- Keywords (Tags) can now be added and/or edited for each catalog
- That allows for additional information per item besides
Comments and Labels
- fixed and improved the tar archive reader
- added .MXF and .webm to the list of supported video
- improved the command line options and syntax - we now allow to
start an update by specifying the actual volume path, and have
abeMeda figure out the corresponding catalog on its own. That also
allows for "create new if not yet there"
- added a (hidden) setting to allow abeMeda to gather any failed
files during cataloging, and present them as an album afterwards,
- added a "retract" button to the batch-scan dialog, and also
added an eject and retract button to the cataloging progress dialog
when in batch mode
- added "Save As New SmartFolder", "New Empty Query" and "Load
last used Query" to the find tools menu
- modified the "ask for media" dialogs and process. You can now
choose any valid folder path, and (re-)connect an unmatched catalog
to that directly from the dialog.
- the dialog for "existing catalog" now has more information, and
can show and select the found catalog if requested.
- the Find context menu for catalogs now contains catalog
specific find options that can help find similar catalogs
- added "Has No Tags" and "Kind is Comic" as find options
- improved and corrected album handling and performance
- added a manual save option to the Inspector - using SHIFT or
ALT click on the Edit button will save the current changes without
changing the edit mode.
- fixed: fileCheck would not correctly identify missing (deleted)
files on the associated medium
- added a new function to export folders of existing catalogs
into a new separate catalog file
- and fixed and improved numerous other issues.
6.6 (June 15th,
- abeMeda now correctly rotates thumbnails based on their EXIF
- added the reading of AudioCD CoverArt from CoverArtArchive for
MusicBrainz, also improved handling of MusicBrainz results
- improved & augmented AutoUpdate with more intervals (from
hourly to weekly) instead of just daily.
- IPTC keywords and categories are now sorted alphabetically in
- improved FindDuplicates, cleaned the configuration dialog,
fixed some problems and inconsistencies, and added more information
- further improved QuickUpdate performance and accuracy
- deleting catalogs now has an optional confirmation dialog, to
prevent unwanted deletions.
- opening a SmartFolder for Edit (context menu, or now also
shift-click) now selects the last criteria for quick modifications
- abeMeda can now read much more and better contents from RTF
- improved the quality of PDF previews via Xpdf, especially for
higher thumbnail sizes
- added PhaseOne RAW (.IIQ) picture dormat to the list of
recognized RAW file formats
- added DiskID to BrokenX importer
- databaseSettings.xml now has a new section to exclude files
(filenamepatterns) from scan completely
- improved sorting for many more attributes, with better results
(and some cross-attribute sorting, eg for recording dates)
- improved and corrected DragNDrop handling, especially for
- corrected handling of ZIP files with many contained items (or
those from OSX' Finder)
- suppressed the urge to keep creating the default smart folders
after they were deleted
- fixed a problem with exporting and importing the label
- fixed a problem when copy/pasting long comments into the
- added provisions to better deal with a filling up Temp
6.5 (November 28th,
- vastly improved video recognition for metadata and thumbnails:
abeMeda can now use ffmpeg to reliably read many more video
- of course the movie contact sheets benefit from ffmpeg as well
- if installed, ffmpeg will be preferred over other
- abeMeda now also uses an installed 7-Zip to read more archives
(7z, ARJ, LHA) and image files (ISO, DMG)
- fixed a display problem with huge multi-monitor setups
- fixed a problem that could make abeMeda seem unresponsive due
to a misconfigured AutoSync.
- fixed a problem with sorting folders in the Library
- added commands to reset the window layout, or to deauthorize an
- added "Open" for multiple files, and an "Open With" dialog for
any selected file
- added display columns for width, height, duration and aspect
ratio, and also catalog file size
- added support for Apple's CloudDrive and Microsoft's
- fixed a problem reading certain EXIF, GPS & IPTC tags from
- and fixed and improved numerous other issues.
6.4.2 (September 24th,
- updated and improved catalog file handling, loading catalog
files and and working with huge a library is much faster now
- improved catalog display, and updated sorting. On Windows 7 and
later abeMeda now better sorts numerals in (catalog) names.
- improved ZIP and ZIP64 file recognition and parsing.
- abeMeda can now read ISRC from WAV files!
- fixed a problem adding catalogs to AutoUpdate in the 64bit
- fixed a problem communicating with Google Earth in the 64bit
- added commands to control and delete QuickFind history
- fixed a number of problems in the inspector and the find
- improved cataloging and metadata recognition for many formats,
like MOVs, MP4s, FLVs
- fixed a problem when reading IPTC tags containing CR/LF
- and fixed and improved numerous other issues.
6.4 (May 19th, 2014)
6.2.2 (June 10th,
- abeMeda is now 64bit and runs natively on
64bit Windows – allowing us to use more memory, and work faster on
- our new “Find Duplicates” function that allows
you to identify duplicate files in any number of catalogs. It
offers several criteria for item comparison, and you can also find
unique items (that only exist in ONE catalog, eg all files on a new
disc that are not yet in your own collection)
- the new “Movie Contact Sheet” function, to
create beautiful contact sheets of movies in different formats –
you can define the number of previews to show, and their
arrangement and layout. Output comes as an image file in different
- new “Find … in folder” context menu commands,
to quickly find all pictures, movies, audio or – in general – media
files in any given folder with a dsingle click. Allows you to
compile and view all media independently of existing folder
- new selection for QuickFind type – you can
decide if QuickFind works on Any Text (as before), or on Name,
Comment, EXIF, IPTC or audio tags. Thus enabling you to accomplish
even more taks with a single QuickFind. Also, it now allows to find
a place on the map (like in GeoFinder)
- Find has again grown faster and more
- the Inspector now shows a lot more information fur
multi-item selections, detecting if and how many audio or
video files are selected, and accumulating their duration; or
showing aggregations for folders and catalogs.
- newly added support for huge Zip archives
(ZIP64, > 4 GBytes in size)
- improved support for FileCheck values – now
allowing to check multiple files at once, searching for files or
catalogs with or without FileCheck, displaying FileCheck as
separate column in the detail views etc)
- “Content” and “Preview” can
now also be found in the Properties dialogs of files, offering that
stored data for viewing outside of the Inspector. abeMeda can also
show the stored preview in a separate popup window.
- improved processing and recognition of huge TIFF and JPEG
- improved RAW support (new libraw version, with
new file formats like CR2 or CRW)
- added .css, .csv and
.srt to the text file content cataloguing
- added support for MTS video files, also
looking for a preview if a matching codec is installed
- added XMP for NEF and
- improved and sped up updating of existing catalogs once
- improved UniCode handling for certain filetypes and
- and fixed and improved numerous other issues.
- improved IPTC recognition, handling and display
- improved quickUpdate and AutoSync performance and accuracy
- improved and fixed find window criteria handling (added
options, fixed a rare crash, missing criteria input controls and
- improved and fixed HTML export and iView import regarding
perfomance, data quality and fault tolerance
- improved album handling
- improved window handling and display issues
- improved handling of several parallel scans
- further improved AudioCD recognition and handling
- fixed a problem with changing the database library in demo
- and added a lot more smaller improvements and
6.2.1 (March 20th,
- fixed a number of smaller output and display problems (Hz/kHz
number formatting for audio files, handling of very small file
- fixed a possible hang on startup due to certain find
- fixed some errors in the ADC import
- fixed a problem with a rogue logfile created on the desktop
even though logging level was 0
6.2 (March 13th,
- added reading previews of icon files - abeMeda
will now create a preview of the largest available format in icon
- added beautiful colors to the existing
labels - you can choose different sets, edit and
save them, and tag any catalog or item with them. See them
displayed throughout the application, or even switch them off
completely in the options.
- added a whole number of new export formats,
that also cover presentation needs, not only technical data
- new HTML contact sheets (thumbnail view), for
a number of selected items, or even for whole catalogs
(hierarchically, to click through interactively), including linked
- new HTML report (detail view), also hierarchical
- and a new XML export, also including
- new "Reconnect" command for existing catalogs
- so you can reconnect a catalog with a renamed (or otherwise
modified) or different volume...
- added new icons for different volume and media types
- added bing to our list of location based webservices for
- added "Year" and "Genre" as editable values to the inspector
- added new find commands: Path: "folder contains/doesn't
contain" (for the immediate containing folder), and "Item In/Not In
Archive" Comment: "has comment" / "has no comment"
- added a list of recent library folders to the options dialog,
allowing you to switch more easily between different
- added an option to use decimal byte display (1MB = 1000KB =
1000 bytes) by default, abeMeda will still use 1024 bytes, just
- added better and clearer memory information to the database
- added cataloging performance counters that output their
information to the log file
- improved item handling in our detail views
(when dragging, moving or sorting catalogs or items)
- fixed a number of display issues in the
- fixed and improved AudioCD handling in cataloging and their
- fixed and improved handling of large catalogs (> 2GB) while
- improved recognition for large pictures and PDFs
- improved metadata generator performance and results
- fixed mapInspector to correctly handle & remember map
- improved AutoSync and AutoUpdate handling and behaviour
- fixed a couple of issues with batch cataloging, too
- and applied a number of smaller fixes and improvements all
6.0.2 (April 23rd,
- added support for MP4/MOV embedded cover art (requiring
- added new columns for item, file and folder count to the
catalog details list view
- added handling of relative paths ("..\") and environment
variables (%USERPROFILE%) to our database folder path command line
argument (/db). That way, portable installations of abeMeda can run
right from an external drive (HDD or USB stick)
- fixed freedb recognition, that was sometimes not called even if
- fixed a number of smaller issues involving the QuickFind
control or the logfile path.
6.0.1 (February 14th, 2012)
- found item lookup would sometimes lead to a crash
- implemented freedb protocol level 6, for unicode text from
- introduced geotag vicinity search into the findEditor, to make
it fully accessible, and combinable with other criteria.
- added support for unicode volume names
- added a pause functionality to our progress dialogs
- fixed movie recognition in our meDaGen !!
- freedb & Xpdf settings were not correctly set in the
- "Pack logfile" button in Logging dialog was always greyed
6.0 (December 11th, 2011)
- well, the new name, of course! abeMeda still reads CDs, but is
capable of so much more, that we needed a new name to reflect
- newly redesigned and integrated layout, using a single
- new Albums and SmartFolders allow for greater possibilities and
flexibility when working with your files. Save your favourite Find
Queries in SmartFolders for easier and faster access, or gather the
files you need for a specific purpose or project in an Album to
keep them together.
- new mapInspector right in the main window shows geotag
locations even outside of the GeoFinder.
- mapInspector reacts to the (geotagged) items selected in the
- plus, has a load of functionality in its context menu, like the
new "Find All In This Map" for one-click geo-area search
- new edit mode in the mediaInspector now allows for commenting
or labelling directly from the main window.
- The Inspector can also edit common values for multiple items
directly. We now offer comment and label for items, and also
Location and the catalogs' Extra Fields for editing when multiple
items are selected.
- new external metaDataGenerator makes cataloging even faster and
fi¬nal¬ly immune to crashing - it will take the fall so abeMeda
won't have to.
- new improved cataloging of AudioCDs : abeMeda now asks
MusicBrainz for information, and reads ASIN, ISRC and CD-TEXT when
- new PDF thumbnails and content cataloging (via Xpdf) : abeMeda
will query an installed Xpdf for PDF thumbnails and/or content to
store that in the catalogs.
- new AutoUpdate, enabling business license holders to select
catalogs for daily automatic update.
- new Copy functions for Name, Path, comment, MP3 tags,
thumbnails and GPS tags to the context menus
- also adding copy functionality to the inspector controls -
anything displayed there can be copied for use elsewhere!
- redesigned find window attribute list, and adding specific
search in document file contents
- added unit support to our find editor – now you see what unit
is expected when entering criteria, and you can (finally) choose to
enter sizes in MB or GB when searching for them.
- improved QuickUpdate recognition and performance
- added “force full update” to the catalog settings, allowing you
to ignore QuickUpdate if really need be
- added hidden setting to identify files without or with unknown
extension based on their content when cataloging
- added "Prepare packed logfile" to Logging dialog - to ease
maintenance where mailing would not work.
- fixed and enhanced the sizeGrip on the progress dialogs -
double- clicking that will now maxmimze the dialog!
- added new SatelliteWindows to view a catalog, catalog folder or
album in an external window side by side to other contents
- added a new Window menu to keep track of all the additional
- abeMeda has a complete new column handling for the main
- added loads of new columns (MP3 tags, EXIF, IPTC, …) to the
- redesigned the column selection in our preferences to handle
all these new columns
- the column headers are now adapted to the new design and
handling in Vista and Windows7 (especially regarding the sort
- you can now also choose “None” as sort column, dropping all
sorting and reverting to the order of items in the catalog. (via
sort menu option, or by pressing SHIFT when clicking the sorted
- abeMeda can now save partial catalogs when you cancel
- extended abeMeda’s audio capabilities
- corrected metadata reading for several filetypes
- added an Audio Info section to the inspector for all files that
do not have mp3tags.
- added several additional search options to look for audio
files’ bitrate, samplingrate, etc.
- added the ability to search through Lyrics specifically
- reworked the exports’ output and layout for better export
quality and more data.
- the find window and the Inspector can also be detached from the
main window, if you prefer the old layout or need the space
- added word parsing to the QuickFind – when typing several words
abeMeda will create a complex find, searching for each word
separately. To enforce the exact phrase, use quotations.
- also, QuickFind in the main toolbar now stores your recently
used and favourite search words and has a QuickFind button,
- we added a special dialog to select the catalogs to search for
a query, instead of relying only on what was selected in the rest
of the application.
- we added support for thumbnails in Adobe InDesign CS5 and 5.5
- we also added a couple of visual enhancements to our icons,
graphics and controls.
- and handled a couple of other smaller issues and interface
5.7.2 (December 14th,
5.7.1 (September 22nd, 2010)
- improved the FLV file metadata recognition, especially vastly
increasing speed for large FLV files.
- improved our WhereIsIt import to correctly care for UniCode
- improved export now also covers the MD5 FileCheck value.
- fixed a problem with the editing of labels.
- fixed problems with certain NEF files' GPS coordinates.
- fixed problems with some "ends with" searches
- fixed problems with tag recognition for certain MP3 files
- fixed a problem with certain TIFF files that caused CDWinder to
- fixed a display problem for empty video metadata in the media
- and addressed even more smaller problems.
- CDWinder can catalog the GPS tags in .MOV video files created
by the Apple iPhone! That gives you the same geotag related
features as with photos, such as starting a geosearch, or showing
the point in Google Earth or on the built-in map
- CDWinder now also reads the contents of Word files, code files
(.c, .h, .cpp, .rc) and XML/HTML files.
- CDWinder now includes the latest exiftool version (8.2.5), and
offers correct feedback for exiftool status
- improved EXIF and IPTC cataloging, and updated archive readers
to use UTF-8
- improved updating of existing catalogs – QuickUpdate is now
- improved PDF cataloging by adding page count and PDF
- added a new catalog settings dialog - the catalog settings can
now easily be set or changed for each catalog
- added a scrollbar to the Inspector window, so all displayed
data can be inspected without closing sections
- added "Has No GPS data" to EXIF find options.
- added tab navigation to the find window input fields.
- CDWinder now has a new import dialog, allowing to choose the
XML catalog file format to import.
- ADC (Advanced Disk Catalog for Windows) XML Importer now reads
the Category field and places it in the item comment
- and we added new command key shortcuts to enable easier
maintenance of CDWinder
- fixed a problem with the saving of find queries in the German
- fixed problems with the find window
- fixed problems with the display of updated catalogs
- fixed problems with the visibility of the inspector window
- fixed problems with the tree-view and list-view display
- fixed a crash that sometimes occurred after refreshing the
- fixed search results for catalog info - some information in
catalogs could not be found in every instance.
- fixed searching for/with Unicode data (e.g. Japanese
- fixed a problem with setting labels with the context menu for
- fixed several problems with the layout of CDWinder's windows
and focussing when switching tasks.
- and addressed even more smaller problems.
5.7 (April 21st, 2010)
- improved cataloging : faster, and more stable.
- added detailed OpenStreetMap mapping to the GeoFinder
- enhanced integrated GeoTagging capabilities with the GeoFinder
- added photo export feature - convert photos in your database to
a specific format and size
- added text file preview cataloging for text files. The first
256 characters of RTF (Rich Text Format), TXT, LOG, and NFO files
are read, saved, displayed, and can of course searched
- added FLAC metadata cataloging, for all metadata and cover
- added cataloging of metadata and thumbnails for Adobe
Illustrator and InDesign files.
- added cataloging of the contents of url and .webloc files,
incl. finding and visiting the stored URLs
- added importing of WhereIsIt XML catalog files.
- fixed a problem with the importing of BrokenX catalogs
- fixed problems with the sorting via the Order By
- fixed problems with the image quality of our Locr upload
- improved Drag'n'Drop capabilities and handling
- improved volume recognition and (UNC) path handling
- fixed a performance problem when cataloging thousands of RAW
images, and several other stability issues during find and
- fixed a problem with the handling of renamed catalog items
- fixed issues with the slideshows when including folder names or
still archived items that caused problems in the external
- added several switches to control the internal engines for
cataloging - to turn off XMP, RAW, QT etc. individually.
- added a menu command to swiftly show the logfile if logging is
- improved display of and scrolling through large item
collections or folders with many thumbnails.
- and addressed and fixed even more smaller problems.
5.6.1 (July 22nd, 2009)
- improved find : up to 20% faster now, and more stable.
- enabled UNC for database folders, enhanced general handling of
and awareness for UNC paths and folders
- added confirmation before overwriting existing geotags in
- CDWinder now remembers the last used find query and the last
- improved the handling of the command line interface when
scanning and updating, especially when running as a scheduled
- added storing of Locr settings, including Locr user
- Expanded the URL handler. It now also offers:
- added .MPV movies, and sped up thumbnail creation for mp4
- added a clipboard context menu to the findWindow input
- fixed scaling of catalogued thumbnails for QuickTime-enabled
- fixed a problem with BIGTIFFs that CDWinder can not handle
- fixed and improved the doubleclick handling of certain
- fixed the reading of certain TAR archives
- fixed a problem reading cover art of AIFF and certain AAC
- and adressed some smaller problems.
5.6 (May 5th, 2009)
- CDWinder now creates thumbnails for movie files! This uses
DirectShow and / or QuickTime, and includes a number of file
formats, such as avi, mov, mp4, m4v, mpg, flv, mkv, and more – if
the required codecs are installed. We tested CDWinder with a
DirectShow codec pack like CCCP. Also, CDWinder doesn’t use the
first frame of a movie, but grabs a thumbnail at about 20% of the
duration of the movie
5.5.5 (February 11, 2009)
- With CDWinder you can now geotag your pictures with Google
Earth (utilizing Phil Harvey's exiftool). If you create a catalog
of an online volume, you can use CDWinder and Google Earth to
geotag the picture in the catalog and in the file itself.
- CDWinder now offers Locr-Upload capabilities. It works for
photos with or without geotags, and you can upload single or
multiple photos. Also, you can get a list of your albums on the
Locr server, and place the uploaded photos in one of them or create
a new one
- CDWinder can finally catalog UNC paths (Network Places) without
the need of a mapped drive letter
- CDWinder can now also catalog the GPS coordinates stored in
sidecar XMP files or XMP records in photos
- New RAR code to catalog the contents of archives larger than 4
- KMZ Export has been improved with better KML content, an option
to use the KMZ TimeStamp, and an option to include the metadata or
- You can now exclude files from cataloging based on their name
suffixes, or folders based on their name. This is handled by a file
named DatabaseSettings.xml in your CDWinder database folder.
- CoverArt of AAC-Songs will now be cataloged again, supporting
the yet again changed format introduced with iTunes 8
- The Podcast info text of songs is now cataloged, and will be
displayed, and can of course be searched as well
- The comment inside JPG photos is now cataloged (that is the
unique JPG comment, not the IPTC comment, which CDWinder can
already catalog since version 2.5)
- Due to popular demand, CDWinder now has separate sorting for
folders, just like in Windows Explorer
- Fixed a bug where finding IPTC or EXIF criteria in Found Items
would not work
- Fixed a problem with the genre of miscellaneous audio
- And, as always, we fixed several other bugs…
- improved RAW support : added GPS from RAW EXIF, increased
compatibility to more RAW thumbnails
- added Spanish language
- fixed : bug that could prevent CDWinder from starting up from a
network database folder
- fixed : problems with switching between display modes
- fixed : some columns in the main window or find window were not
- and addressed some smaller problems.
5.5 (January 6, 2009)
- CDWinder can now catalog all metadata of AIFF songs, including
Cover Art, Lyrics and all other typical fields
- CDWinder can read previews and EXIF data from RAW images
- CDWinder now catalogs important metadata of movie files (avi,
mov, mp4, m4v, mpg, flv), such as the size and duration, as well as
the frame rate and codec
- CDWinder now catalogs XMP metadata out of RAW, TIFF, PDF, EPS,
JPG, and even sidecar files, increasing the compatibility to Adobe
Bridge and all other Adobe applications
- The new GeoFinder dramatically improves the Geo-Search feature:
A fully interactive map allows you to specify the starting point
for your search, and you can use the current Google Earth position,
along with preset locations and a new place search
- CDWinder can now export geotags into the KMZ format, including
previews of the actual photos and important metadata, such as the
location and camera parameters. That does of course work for any
- All photos with GPS data now have the GeoTagIcon badged to
their thumbnail in the CDWinder windows
- When cataloging GPS data, CDWinder now also reads the azimuth,
tilt, and distance values written by Graphic Converter and some GPS
modules attached to Nikon cameras. This value is then used for
"Reveal in Google Earth", as well as the KMZ export file
- Added SmugMug, WikiMapia, Yahoo Maps, Geoudy, OpenStreetMap,
and Woohpy to the GPS menu
- Find can now also search by path
- CDWinder can now handle a wide range of URLs, such as
can use that to interactively integrate CDWinder into your web
sites and more.
- Extended the Export to include MP3, EXIF, and IPTC metadata of
all found items properly
- The IPTC metadata in any export now has no Return characters,
but these are replaced by either a comma or a blank
- CDWinder is now able to write a logfile, especially useful for
identifying corrupt catalogs or rogue media files that mess up the
- The thumbnails in the detail window can now be scaled (64 - 512
- CDWinder offers a new light table view with a dark window
background, that enhances visibility with media thumbnails
- CDWinder can use IrfanView or XnView, if installed, to show images in a
- CDWinder now accepts its own catalog files with drag & drop
into the catalog list. Any such files are now copied to the
CDWinder database folder and used
- Fixed a bug with the Batch Catalog Scan that caused unending
loops when a catalog already existed in the database
- And, as always, we fixed several other bugs…
5.1.1 (April 16, 2008)
- CDWinder can now catalog all metadata of AIFF songs, including
Cover Art, Lyrics and all other typical fields
- MP3 Cover Art is now being read from ID3v2.2 format tags as
well as the ID3v2.3 tags
- CDWinder can now show more than one photo in Google Earth, and
exports the GPS coordinates of all selected photos (along with
their names and IPTC caption) into a KML file (to be used with
Goodle Earth and other applications)
- The GPS distance search window now displays the selected
coordinate in a nice world map
- All GPS related context menu entries now use the GPS icon from
- The Inspector now also shows the alitutide of GPS
- Fixes problems with the catalog serial number, and CDWinder can
now renumber existing catalogs, too.
- Fixes a bug in the GPS distance search, where a rounding error
could sometimes produce incorrect results
- Fixes a bug when some JPG photos with XMP metadata would
prevent CDWinder from reading the IPTC comments of the file
- Fixes a bug with navigating folders inside of scanned
- Fixes a bug with the display of UniCode characters of updated
5.1 (February 26, 2008)
5.0.2 (November 11, 2007)
- QuickUpdate: Updating existing
catalogs in CDWinder is now about 50 times faster than before,
because CDWinder now keeps the unchanged meta-data
- QuickFind: a search field in
the main toolbar now allows to find any text in all catalogs
directly and quickly
- New extended Find context
menus: Find files with the same MP3 artist, album, title or composer, or based on IPTC
meta-data or date values
- Vastly extended
support: CDWinder can
now also show the location of a photo in Flickr, Panoramio, Google
Maps or MapQuest
- Find photos based on their GPS
location and distance relative to another photo
- Cataloging ZIP archive contents
is about 20 times faster than before, due to a new and improved algorithm
- Cataloging of MP3 and AAC tags
is now fully Unicode compatible as well
- CoverArt in MP3 and AAC is now
cataloged as well
- Ringtone audio files are also
- CDWinder now optionally
generates a FileCheck value for every file, and allows you to verify
that at any time. Important for photographers and everyone else who
wants to ensure that their data is still alive and
- CDWinder can now import Broken
Cross XML database files or export files and Advanced Disk Catalog
(ADC for Windows) XML export files files as catalogs
- And, as always, we fixed
5.0.1 July 7, 2007
- massively improved performance when scanning thumbnails (about
- improved the folder-browsing dialogs by preselecting the last
used folder as appropriate
- fixed problems with huge catalog files (larger than 2 GB), and
improved file handling
- fixed handling of empty catalog files
- fixed inspector display issues (information was vanishing
- fixed problems with identifying different AudioCD-catalogs
- adressed a number of issues concerning stability and fault
CDWinder 5 22. May 2007
- integrated "Show In GoogleEarth" for GPS-tagged pictures !
- once an image is geotagged (either in the camera, or by
additional software) and cataloged, it can always be located
anywhere on the globe !
- added a search for object kind (Folder, Picture, Movie,
- fixed several bugs
- enhanced: cataloging of TIFFs, EXIF & IPTC records, ZIP
- fixed: disappearing catalogs after restart
- fixed: undeleteable catalog folders
- fixed: catalogs' Extra Fields were not included in
- enhanced: parsing of the command line
- and others
CDWinder 2.6.1 18. December 2006
- CDWinder can now catalog thumbnail previews for photo and image
files of several types (JPG, TIFF, PSD, PNG, GIF, BMP)
- Enhanced user interface: CDWinder's list windows can be
switched between the list and a new icon view mode, to see all
those thumbnails in full glory. Navigational controls and history
ease your path through your data, and allow better control.
- Full Unicode support: All new catalogs created by CDWinder 5.0
now contain the full Unicode file names, comments, and such
- Date and number outputs are correctly locale formatted
- Date inputs for search criteria use a calendar control
- New additional run time parameters: CDWinder is now able to
catalog media or update existing catalogs or folders by specifying
parameters at startup. That way you can have CDWinder catalog every
disk you burn, or update specific catalogs over night.
- A number of bugs was fixed
CDWinder 2.6 2. December 2006
- Some nasty bugs were fixed, e.g.
- Improved the new AutoVerify function
- AutoVerify interrupted normal operations
- In some circumstances, the new AutoVerify would cause CDWinder
use up far too much memory, or even crash
- Exporting of different levels of catalog information didn’t
work correctly and was rebuilt.
CDWinder 2.5 4. October 2005
- Revamped and enhanced the Find window
- We now allow the combination of several search criteria (up to
16) to find objects in the catalogs
- Existing techniques as “find in found objects”, “add to found
objects” or wildcards (with names) still exist and can be combined
with the new mechanisms
- Added custom fields and extra information to add to the
- Automatic serial numbers for catalogs have been added
- Up to 5 custom fields can be defined, that carry additional
information for each catalog
- Added Lyrics
- MP3-tags now include Lyrics tag – lyrics are stored full-text
in our catalogs and can be searched using Any Text
- Enhanced the media Inspector in visuals and behaviour
- Improved catalog file handling and collaboration with
- Several bugs were fixed, e.g.
- MP3- und IPTC catalogging was corrected, existing catalogs are
automatically verified and corrected
- Changes in the catalogs are now saved correctly and more
- Labels are now changed and saved correctly
- CDWinder is tested on Windows Vista, but no longer supports
CDWinder 2.0.1 17. April 2005
- cataloging of photo meta data : EXIF and IPTC
- special search functions, to search items with these data
- view and browse through the objects and their meta data with
the new media Inspector
- the Inspector displays detailed information for the currently
- it will also show a picture preview (only if the file is
- enhanced the performance in finding and browsing, if only to
handle all the additional data
- several bugs were fixed
CDWinder 2.0 26. March 2005
- Corrected several bugs, including
- Preferences dialog would not accept a database folder on a
- Objects in CDFinder catalogs with danish or french characters
were not displayed correctly
Changes for Version 1.9.1 (22. December
- Enhanced the user interface
- Added details columns (comments, modification date, kind etc.)
for the catalogs and objects
- Enabled the user to choose which columns to display
- Enabled rearranging of columns
- Corrected and enhanced column based sorting
- Made CDWinder remember all those options
- Enhanced Drag'nDrop support
- Folders and volumes can be dragged onto CDWinder to have them
cataloged, even directly in specific folders.
- Catalogs and catalog folders can be moved and copied to other
catalog folders, several at a time, from the ListView
- Multiple selected catalogs and catalog folders can serve as a
source for search operations, or be exported all together
- Enhanced archive support
- Added RAR archive support
- Added folder support for all archive types
- Added a command line switch
- By using the parameters /db in the command line, the current
instance of CDWinder can be forced to use a specific database
folder, instead of the one stored in the preferences (for
registered users only)
- Usage : cdwinder.exe /db "D:\myData\catalog files"
- Fixed several bugs…
Changes for Version 1.9 (2. November 2003)
- CDWinder now optionally comes with a Setup-routine (incl.
uninstall) in a self-extracting EXE-File, if you prefer that.
- CDWinder can now export in CSV format, too.
- As a little christmas present we integrated scanning of JPEG
image information. It's intended as a preview of the upcoming
version 2.0, where we will scan extensive information incl. EXIF
and IPTC for several image formats.
- The sporadic problem with the immovable splitbar has been
- Our ZIP-Archive routine can now handle ZIPs created by Mac OS
- An error in the MP3-scan, potetnially causing crashes with
defective files, was removed.
- Communication with the freedb-database was optimized and is now
- Recognition of existing catalogs was improved ans should be
more precise now.
Changes for Version 1.8 (22. June 2003)
- launching CDWinder is much faster now thanks to the new
- CDWinder can sync the database folder CDWinder and reflect the
changes. That's very handy for network use, sharing a database
folder on a server. (This feature requires a CDWinder Business
- The memory management of catalog data was improved. The amount
of memory used by CDWinder for this data can be configured in the
new database preferences dialog.
- Cataloging of several volumes can now be done
- CDWinder allows updating of catalogs - catalogs can be updated
to the contents of a volume without losing the input like lables or
- As always we have fixed some bugs and glitches (for example
with the recognition of mixed-mode audio-cd's).
Changes for Version 1.7.1 (3. February 2003)
- Cataloging of folders
- Cataloging of WAV-files
- Cataloging of AAC-files incl. Tags
- Cataloging of Tar Archives
- Improved Cab-Archive cataloging
- Tooltips enabled for display of additional information on
catalogs or media files
- Fixed several bugs…
Changes for Version 1.7 (15. December 2002)
- bugfix release, e.g.:
- fixed several glitches in the new find functions
- fixed the export-function
- improved AudioCD-recognition in Win9x (MCI)
- revamped and improved find functionality
- added wildcard search
Name, Comment and Any Text "contains" now allows for
- added source selection
all catalogs, selected catalog or folder, found objects or catalog
infos only and items with different labels can be chosen as search
- items can be added to already found ones
- added support for cataloging CAB-archives
- added support for the MP3-composer-tag
- scanning, display and find functionality.
- added a toolbar !
- added support for long(er) comments
Changes for Version 1.6 (31. March 2002)
- Catalogs and items can carry virtually unlimited comments (was
limited to 255 chars up to now)
Changes for Version 1.5.1 (19. December
- support for labeling the different objects
- we sport 15 different labels, configurable in the
- labels are assignable to the different objects in the
- we have label- columns and you can search for labels
- support for CDFinder labels, and CDFinderFolderInfo
- support for AudioCD’s, Extended-AudioCD’s through ASPI
- improved recognition of (Extended-)AudioCD’s
- added cataloging of ExtendedAudioCD’s (NT4+ only for now!)
- freedb-support for Windows NT4
- revamped and improved catalog export
- new output-format
- new export-dialog
- selectable columns
- definable output
Changes for Version 1.5 (25. November 2001)
- The catalog view can now be sorted alphabetically, by using a
new preference setting.
- Media info is now included when exporting found items and
- CDWinder now detects duplicates before cataloging them and
prompts the user for action.
- Changes in catalogs names are now saved right away.
- Slight imperfections in the freedb protocol were
- The Batch Catalog function was improved for some glitches in
Changes for Version 1.2 (29. July 2001)
- The Audio Edition
- CDWinder now supports cataloging AudioCDs ! The title and track
infos are gathered by utilizing the internet CD-database
- CDWinder now reads the tag info of MP3 files!! The artist,
album, title, year, genre, comment, track, and encoding info is
processed (any version of the tag!). Also the duration and the
compression of every MP3 file is read. Of course, the Find
parameters have been extended by adequate new values. The MP3 info
is displayed in the new Media-Info column, or in the extended
- I have added a Batch Cataloging function, to simplify
cataloging those piles of AudioCDs (and other media, of
- The new Find parameter "Any Text" finds text in any of the
fields name, comment, version, and MP3 info.
- The new Find parameter "Duration" finds the duration of audio
files (MP3 and CD audio tracks, later more...).
- The preferences-dialog was adapted based on the new
possibilites, of course.
- Cataloging in Windows 9x (95/98/SE/Me) should be more stable
now - resource-issues were eliminated and the handling of version
information was improved.
- A problem with cataloging in Virtual PC on Mac OS was fixed -
CDWinder used to loop indefinitely on a special directory
Changes for Version 1.1.1 (29. April 2001)
- enhanced system integration
- added opening of files and displaying them in the explorer
- we show the nicer and more detailed icons in the ListView,
- enhanced media-handling
- improved and faster cataloging
- added driveEngine to identify accesible volumes
- enhanced find-routine
- added support to find the catalogs (names and comments)
- added support for deleting catalog folders
- added some minor enhancements
- improved the navigation and display in the TreeView
- we now have some general information in a status bar
- coordinates of windows and columns are preserved
Changes for Version 1.1 (24. March 2001)
- fixed some bugs in the findEngine
- findings with extended characters (e.g. german Umlauts) didn't
- findings with dates didn't show any results
- added some minor enhancements
- we now have some progress-information during startup and find
- we show nicer and more detailed icons in the item property
Changes for Version 1.0.1 (14. January 2001)
- added catalog support for Zip-Files
zip-files are scanned and their contents is added to the
- added support for version information
version of exe, dll, ... files is gathered and stored in the
- added a preferences dialog for these new capabilities
- added search functions for comments and version
- added catalog folder support
- create catalog folders to organize your catalogs
- move catalogs between them (drag'n drop)
- rename catalog folders
- extensive information dialogs with statistics
- display of CDFinder catalog folder comments
- added rename and comment capability for catalog-objects
- added export-functionality
catalogs and found items can be exported to tab-separated text
- added menu-shortcuts for the most important functions
- added sorting capablities for catalogs in the list view
First release of CDWinder 1.0 (18. December
- fixed: Problem with incorrect size recognition of large
harddisks in Win9x
- fixed: Problem with Volumenames containing characters invalid
- added: usability of the find-dialog
- Lookup for found items in the main window.
- key navigation (tab, return) in the find-dialog.
- added: Splitbar between the main window elements...